Obama has now announced his determination to get out of Afghanistan, win, lose or draw. Oh, he'll send a few troops in to make it look like a fight. But make no mistake, he wants out.
Obama, ever the callow youth who just isn't up to leading the free world, still does not understand that the Taliban and Al Quaeda must be completely and continually vanquished. Unless we make a long-term commitment to keep the terrrists from doing so, they will continue to attack and kill us. Nor does Obama seem to care that leaving terrorists alive, relocating them to US soil, conferring Consitutional rights that belong only to US citizens upon them, and trying them in civilian courts all add up to more trouble for the US in the future.
The Washington Times recently published some of the new Rules of Engagement (ROE) for Afghanistan, following interviews with US military personnel. Among the assinine, we-don't-care-if-we-win-or-not rules our brave troops must obey:
- no night or surprise searches
- villagers must be warned prior to searches
- Afghan police or military must accompany US units on any search
- US soldiers may not fire at the enemy unless the enemy is preparing to fire first
- US forces may not engage the enemy if civilians are present
- only women may search women
- troops may fire at an insurgent if they catch him in the act of placing an IED, but not if insurgents are walking away from an area where explosives have been laid
Better to bring the troops home now, rather than leave them to die in politically-correct handcuffs.